Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Pyromaniac and the Marshmallow Monster

On a whim we decided to go camping this weekend. Jared and I were recently talking about how this summer got away from us and we never even made it camping. Well, Jared called me at about 4:15 on Friday evening and said, "Let's go camping tonight!" Seriously??? Camping takes a whole day of preparation for me to get everything together and in order. "We'll make it simple... I found a campsite on a lake 45 minutes from here. I should be home at 5:00!" So I ran to the grocery store... packed a bag and was barely ready to go when Jared got home at 6:00... he had another patient come in. He threw the gear in the car and we were gone by 6:20.


I discovered that when you go camping on a whim you are going to forget LoTs of things! For breakfast we didn't have plates or forks so we emprovised and had pancake tacos... squirt a little syrup in, fold it in half and eat it like a taco. We had no hand sanitizer or soap and we didn't have towels to dry off after swimming... Oh well, all we really needed was a place to sleep, food to eat and each other, it was perfect! The boys had so much fun... lots of fire, dirt, water, spiders, frogs, caterpillars, and of course marshmallows... what more could a little boy want in life?




Emprovising! That was the theme of our campout... no cups, no towels, no plates, no spoons - the spatula was deemed the multi-purpose kitchen utensil - knife, spoon, spatula - it worked for all.
















The boys particularly enjoyed catching frogs in that nasty, stinky, muddy swampy pond.








3 comments:

***LIZ*** said...

What a good sport you are to throw everything together. Even prego... our ward campout is in three weeks and I am worried I won't sleep at all.

Tiffany said...

Great posts! I love all the detail that you put into what is going on in Carter's life. I really love the pictures of Jared teaching him how to ride a bike- the smile on his face is so big! You really were a good sport going camping on such a whim. I am sure that you made some fabulous memories. How fun is that to be able to catch frogs? umm.. who is that kid in the orange swimming suit in that last picture? (Is that a better comment? Or am I still lame)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're a nice mom. I bet it was worth it though to take off and get away. Good memories!