Thursday, December 3, 2009

Gobble Gobble

Living this far from family has forced us to start making our own family traditions. This year I think we found a new Thanksgiving Day favorite. We got up early and headed to downtown Detroit to run the Turkey Trot with 15,000 other people. Yes 15,000... we had no idea it was going to be that big. That's twice as big as the marathon I ran. Carter ran the Mashed Potato Mile and did AWESOME! Jared ran with him and said he was really having to run to keep up with him. It was so fun to watch him weaving in and out of all of the adults. He was ecstatic to finish before so many grown-ups and older kids. He could have possibly been the youngest kid there. Jared said it was too easy for him so we may shoot for the 5K for next year. Gage is also in training to do the mile next year! He is quite confident he can do it.

Jared and I hadn't run a race since Cam was born so we borrowed a single jogger and pushed all 3 kids in the 10K. I'm sure we were a sight to see, but we did stumble upon a couple other double joggers. There were so many people running that the prospect of gaining much ground was not feasible. Trying to maneuver around other runners with a stroller isn't the easiest task, especially when there's a double wide involved.


Look at those little legs move!!!

After the race we stuck around downtown for America's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It was fantastic. This parade is serious business with big fancy floats and big helium balloons. It reminded me of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade we used to watch bits and pieces of on TV growing up.

After the parade a nice long nap in a very warm bed would have been nice We had to settle for a cup of hot chocolate as we had to finish cooking our T-day fixings and head over to have Thanksgiving dinner with some friends. It was a great time. Here's a list of the things my boys are grateful for this year:

Mommy (of course I listed that as number one)
Daddy
Brothers
Family
My Body
Tilapia... I have no idea where Gage got this from - I do make it but he rarely eats it when I do!
Jesus
Heavenly Father
Food
Candy
Toys
School
Home
Books
Legos
Bones
Everything

6 comments:

Julie said...

It's SO good to see you back in the blogging world!! I just love following your cute family. I can't believe you guys ran a 10K pushing strollers!!! And Carter rocks!! What a great life you are giving your kids. Don't freeze to death back there!!!!

Janet said...

Ok Carter is the man! I love that you ran with two jogging strollers. Looks like still your turkey trot was better than mine, which was a train wreck! Wish we could have been running the same one. Oh and stinkin' Gage, he's thankful for tilapia? I'm stealing him tonight.

Lindsey Simon said...

YOur family is awesome! Maybe we should attempt running next year with 3 kids. Looks like everyone had fun!

Ang said...

You guys rock to run a 10k with three kids! Wow, I don't think I would have done it. Way to go!

Heather said...

Wow, you guys are a running family. Frankly, I still hate it and my bladder has other ideas when I run longer than a mile. Good for you. You have been busy updateing your blog, I love it.

eckleinman said...

You said Double Wide. I ended up buying my BOB new but I made $100 on my single on CL so it wasn't too bad. I'd pay a million dollars for one. Too bad you missed running the Milwaukee 1st Ward Turkey trot. I owned it.