Monday, January 23, 2012

A Winter Day at the Zoo

We've had a crazy mild Winter.  I keep waiting for it to really show itself.  While we have had some cold days it feels more like early Spring than Winter.  Every time we have a warm spell (where it gets up into the 50's) I seem to plan an outing somewhere outside because I am convinced it is going to be the last of the warm days before winter really hits.  It was supposed to be warmer on our planned trip to the zoo but the sun didn't quite make it out as the forecast had promised.  It wasn't too cold and we still had a great time viewing many of the forgotten indoor exhibits.  My favorite was the frogs.  We managed to see some them in the middle of their metamorphosis from tadpole to frog.  Half of the babies were still in the water with arms, legs and a tail and the other half had emerged from their tadpole days and were tiny little baby frogs, many of which still had a little bit of a tail that hadn't quite disappeared yet.  I was in awe.  The boys, not so much.  I think I stayed and watched those little baby frogs for 10 minutes and then realized Gage and Cam had since moved on.  Not something you get to see every day at the zoo!

The boys were much more enthralled by the tiger.  We don't see him moving around much.  He's usually taking a nap and sometimes we see him awake but he's usually laying down.  Today the boys gave their best "roars" to get him going and lo and behold he took off.  We stayed and watched him move around his enclosure for a good 20 minutes.  When we got home Cam was so excited to tell his daddy, "I scared the tiger today!"

Of all the animals at the zoo I think my little boys may have been the craziest.  They had many spectators as they trotted around roaring at animals in their crazy hats.  A guy even asked if he could take pictures of them. Like I said, the craziest of the zoo animals, and I got to take them home with me :)







Gage's scary face!


Here's to embracing the mild winter we're having now, instead of bracing myself for the March and April I am sure we are destined to have!

1 comment:

Collier Family said...

Glad you came back to blogging world! I love seeing your pics! Your boys are SO SO cute! Can't wait to see more posts!