Thursday, January 24, 2013

Brick Challenge Game Show at The Henry Ford

Last week our membership to The Henry Ford expired so we decided to make one last trip.  They have a Lego Architecture exhibit that I have been anxious to see (I was in line for the boys to see Santa when Jared took them to see it last month).

As we headed to the Lego exhibit we passed an area where a stage was being assembled with a sign that read, "Brick Challenge Game Show."  Carter's face immediately lit up and he marched over to the man setting up the stage to find out how he could play.  He was informed that the game show would start at 11:30 and he could come back at 11:15 to sign up to be put in a lottery to play.  All morning long Carter kept asking if it was 11:15 yet.  At 11:10 we headed over so he could be one of the first ones to sign up.  As we were waiting for the contestants to be called Carter kept talking about being in the game show.  Being a realist, I tried to set him up for disappointment and explained to him that the odds of him getting chosen weren't that great since there were 30-40 kids hoping too be chosen to play.  His response, "I'll get chosen!  I'm lucky, I always get chosen for stuff!"  Apparently my pep talk didn't phase him.

At 11:30  the game show host "Nick Brickly" read the names of the lucky contestants...first name called...Carter Robbins!  I couldn't believe it!  He was ecstatic!  The game show consisted of 3 rounds of  questions followed by a building challenge.   Questions varied from which state has a Lego-land to which line of Lego replaced the Pirates of the Caribbean line and what is the new line of Lego targeted at girls.  Did you know that Lego fans have their own social network?  Neither did I and I certainly didn't know the name of it.  There were 3 building challenges.  Carter and his partner lost the first one which was to build the tallest Lego building in 3 minutes.  But they won the following challenge which was to build as many Lego planes with a pin protruding out the front as you can in 2 minutes and then use the airplanes as darts to pop balloons.  The last challenge was to build a house for a lego dragon and then explain your creation to the audience who then voted on which structure they like best.  Well, luck was definitely in Carter's favor, they won! (Big thanks to Gage who was cheering EXTRA loud for his brother.) And the prize?  A $150 Lego set!  I couldn't believe it.  To say that he was on cloud 9 is an understatement!













 

Now that looks like a delicious hot dog!

2 comments:

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Wow! That is so awesome he won! Go Carter!

Collier Family said...

How Neat! Legos Rock!