Monday, September 15, 2008

River Trail??

Several weeks ago we decided to go for a family bike ride on a Saturday evening... one of our favorite passtimes. We had received a map for a trail we had not yet been on and decided to give it a try. It is called the "Hank Aaron River Trail." Well maybe we shouldn't have assumed anything (this is Milwaukee after all) BUT we assumed it would be a nice trail along the river - I imagined green and lush, just like several of the areas close to our home that are right along the river. While it was a great ride and a lot of fun... it wasn't quite what I expected. There was some cool architechture but it was mostly an industrial area. For a lot of it we were riding along the street. We took a wrong turn and ended up in a really scarry ghetto, I was feeling bad just for having my kids there with me. All in all I guess I guess a good portion of it ran a long the river, I was just expecting trees and foliage rather than power plants and hide tanning factories (which smelled nasty by the way). Once we got to the Lake it was beautiful. Jared and I couldn't help but laugh as it was no where near our expectations. Oh well, it was still a lot of fun and I'd even do it again (minus the wrong turn into the ghetto)!

I guess there is a river and there were some trees, but the barbed wire fence and the big trucks seem to distract from the "getting out to enjoy nature" aspect of it all.

There was a river!

It was beautiful on our way home, just as the sun was starting to set.

The trail once we got to Lake Michigan was great, we had the Lake on one side and the city landscape on the other, it was beautiful.

2 comments:

Julie said...

You guys are all set up as far as biking as a family goes--I love it!! The picture of your boys on the rock is my favorite. What great memories you're making with them!!

Al said...

That's funny! But it looks like you guys had a fun family day after all. That's all that matters right?!?!?