Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dachau Concentration Camp

Dachau was a sobering experience.  It will forever stand out in my memory.


The gas chamber




"Work Makes Free"

On a side note we had a memorable experience while at Dachau.  Travis and Jennie dropped us off just outside the gates of the concentration camp and left to run a quick errand to the Apple store, 8 miles away.  We were supposed to meet them at 5:30, an hour later.  At the intended meeting time he wasn't there, no biggie, it probably took him longer than he thought.  We walked around a little more and kept checking back at the gate to see if they were there.  The concentration camp was closed by now and it had been raining on us since we got there.  By 6:30 I was REALLY cold and WET but I was trying to remain optimisic that he would be back soon.  At about 7:00 I started to really worry, what if something happened to them?  Where in the world were they?  We were supposed to catch the 7:20 train to Salzburg and we were going to miss it.  Soon I really began to panic.  If something happened to them how would we know?  They had no way of contacting us and they had all of our luggage and passports meaning we would be stranded.  At 7:25 I was almost at my breaking point, I so wanted to be on that train getting ready to go see my parents.  We had deemed 7:30 the time to leave to find a phone and start contacting people to see if they had heard anything.  I was trying to think of every possible reason as to why they would be this late that didn't involve a major catastrophe and I was coming up short, they were only going 8 miles away!  They finally showed up at about 7:28.  I sighed a big sigh of relief that we were not indeed stranded in Germany, that I was finally getting out of the rain, that we would shortly be on another train to Salzburg to go and see my parents and that Travis and Jennie weren't splattered all over the side of the road somewhere.  And why were they late?... nothing short of being stuck in traffic!

4 comments:

Shawna said...

I am loving you trip and all the pictures!!!

Tiffany said...

It sounds like walking the 8 miles would have been faster! I can't imagine what it would be like to actually stand in a concentration camp. I think I would be crying the whole time!

Lisha said...

I can't believe you went to Germany! My dad served his mission in Hamburg and took us back to Germany when I was 15. We went to some of the places you've posted about. Way cool!

AMY said...

Nicole,

Your trip sounds amazing. I just finished reading "The Hiding Place", so I've had concentration camps on my mind. You also have some beautiful pictures. How did your kiddos do? I got your number and will give you a call so we can catch up this week!