Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How Do Babies Come Out?

When I was pregnant with Dax Gage asked me how the baby was going to get out of my belly.  I tried the simple, "The doctor takes him out."  When he demanded to know HOW I decided to tell him.  I thought it was well received and braced myself for the question "how did he get in there?" and was grateful when it never came.  This was probably a year ago and to be honest I haven't thought much of it since.

I went out to breakfast with some girlfriends this week, one of whom has twin boys Gage's age.  She told me they were eating dinner when out of the blue one of her boys exclaimed, "Did you know babies are born with poop all over them!"  She about fell off her chair with laughter and asked where he had heard that.  He proceeded to tell her that Gage had told him that "babies are born with poop all over them because they come out the poop hole!"  

...apparently there was a breakdown in communication during that talk!  I wonder how many 1st grade boys are going around thinking babies come out the poop hole?!?

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is funny! I told Turner that mommy's had a special hole that babies came out of. He has been totally fine with that explanation. Of course if I would have known that the twins would have been c-section, the explanation would have been a little easier!

mamahewe said...

I had to explain that to Calvin when I had Kaylee. He knew there was a difference between boy part and girls parts because Naomi and he were so close in age so I told him the baby came out my girl parts and that seemed to satisfy him but then when I had the boys he asked the inevitable question of how the baby got in there! Thankfully he was 4 years older and I was able to explain it a little bit better. I do believe that those are among some of the hardest questions that kids ask!

Katie Stapleton said...

Your boys are just darling!

Unknown said...

I was about the same age as Gage when Devin was born and I asked Mom if babies came out the front or the back. Her answer was, "Do you really think that we poop out babies?"