Friday, November 7, 2008

Picking What? ... No, Not Our Noses, ApPLes!

Last week Carter and Jared both had a random Thursday off from school and work so we headed to a local family fruit farm to do some apple picking. It was so stinkin fun! We picked apples, played tag in the orchard, ate apples, threw dried up corn kernals at each other, laughed, rolled in the grass and mostly just enjoyed a day together as a family. The boys absolutely LoVEd picking the apples, we started out with just a bag but quickly realized there was much more fun to be had so we ended up coming home with a whole bushel (about 42 lbs! Needless to say I have been making lots of applesauce.) Gage was mostly interested in picking an apple then proceeding to eat it... I know he ate at least 3, maybe more. Carter's favorite part was of course climbing the ladder. I loved being able to spend the day with my 3 favorite boys!!










At the same family farm there was also a pumpkin patch, seeing that it was the day before Halloween and we still hadn't carved pumpkins we decided to pick a couple... they were slim pickings, unless you like pumpkins of the rotten variety. We managed to find a couple and the price was unbeatable, $1 a pumpkin!


On the way home we decided to take full advantage of the nice weather and stop at the park and jump in the leaves. The boys had a ball, I am sure they have never seen so many leaves in their life! We obviously weren't the first people with this idea as there was already a huge pile of leaves waiting for us when we got there... perfectly planned!



At home we carved a couple of pumpkins. Carter designed his own and carved it with the help of his dad. Gage on the other hand was content to sit back and watch. And we all love the roasted pumpkin seeds!

It was a perfect day!

11 comments:

Claudine Cable said...

What wonderful memories you are making for your boys and your photos to help you remember are fabulous. Great job!

Julie said...

That really WAS a perfect day!

Shawna said...

It sounds so fun. I love the pictures you got. Great times....

Laura said...

Those are some GREAT pictures how fun! We had lots of pumpkins for pick from...Callie STILL picked one of the rotten sort! So lovely! Glad you took full advantage of a fun family day! We wish we had leaves like that......

Casey and Akiko said...

How fun! You guys seem to do a lot of fun family activities!! I love looking at your blog.

wilfordfamily2003 said...

How fun! The pictures really captured it all beautifully.
Great job on the pumpkins. :)

Melissa said...

All these beautiful fall pictures almost make me cry. I am in serious need of a change of seasons and it is still pretty hot here. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

Andrea and Blake said...

it looks like a PERFECT day! what great pictures especially at the apple orchard. hope you are feeling well

***LIZ*** said...

I want to go pick apples and pumpkins, looks like all kinds of fun. I wonder if we have any you pick farms around us. How did you find it?

LAURA said...

Great pictures. I love the one of them on the ladder picking the apples.

Grandma Robbins said...

The jack-o-lanterns were pretty FRIGHTENING! I loved the pictures! It looked like you had a very fun day!