Sunday, May 23, 2010

Columbus Half

A few weeks ago Jared and I ran the Capital City Half Marathon in Columbus, Ohio.  This was our first big race together and consequently Jared's first half.  Despite the rainy weather it was really fun to run together and we ALMOST met our goal.  We were shooting for under 2 hours.  (12 minutes faster than my PR)  Our official time was 2:00:20.  Seriously!?!  TWENTY-ONE SECONDS slower than our goal.  We were so close I could taste it!!  We were using our GPS watch as our guide and we were actually on track to finish in 1:59 and change... well according to our GPS watch 13.1 miles turned into 13.26 which put us just over 2 hours.  {sigh}  Oh well, that just means I get to drag Jared's behind out there again so we can do another one and meet our goal.  I think next time we'll give ourselves a little bigger window.  We were lucky the rain didn't start pouring down until mile 10.  The forecast said rain all morning.  At first it was a welcome coolant but after being completely saturated (my toes were little raisins when I took my shoes off) I was ready for it to let up.  It was an adventure and tons of fun.  We also got to visit some friends from med school who are doing residency in Columbus.  They were gracious enough to watch our boys while we ran and even took them to the zoo.  Thanks Sandberg's!


Ready to run!



Soakin!!  But we're still smiling!  I had a friend tell me to smile while we were out there running because runners never look like they're having any fun.  I was sure to smile really big the whole way.  I wanted people to know I was having fun!  Well around mile eleven I stopped smiling... NOT because I wasn't having fun but because I couldn't quite muster the extra energy required to lift those cheek muscles.  Debbie, if it weren't for the energy expended smiling that whole time I may have been able to finish 21 seconds faster!
j/k :)  


Just a couple of fun pics of my goof balls on Saturday afternoon -



A few pictures from the Columbus Zoo, I love zoos! 




It was fun to see Emelie and Carter together, they spent a lot of time playing together our first 2 years of med school.  

5 comments:

Julie said...

Awesome!!!!! I love it that you did it together. You guys rock!!!

Ang said...

Way to go! How fun for you two. Matt and I ran a half when we were living in Indy. I think that maybe you've inspired me to want to do one again with him. So thanks! You're looking good Friend btw. Those boys of yours must keep you on your toes!

Amber said...

Hi Nicole. So I found your blog awhile back and I love spying on your adorable family. Your boys are so cute. Good job in your race. I have convinced my husband to pick up running, and your pics make me excited to be able to run a race with him soon. Good Job!

Niki McDowell said...

Hi, my name is Niki McDowell, I'm a good friend of Melissa Nelson. I saw your comment on her blog about the swimsuits. I'm a former modbe consultant. Though they did go under downeast basics bought out their brand and has relaunched their swimsuits. So you can buy their swimsuits, it just an online store now, no longer a consultant run business. The website is www.modbeclothing.com.

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Awesome job on the half marathon! My sister and her husband just ran one in Provo. Your time was amazing! (Though I am sure it was frustrating being SO close to your goal.) I thought I was running pretty fast exercising, but now I know I am a wimp!