Well we have finally determined the cause of Carter's bowel issues... he has Giardia. Giardia is a parasite that lives in the intestines and causes diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Fortunately it is usually treated easily with medication. We are not sure how he got it, it is usually contracted from contaminated water sources, but it is carried in feces so he could have contracted it from playing in the dirt or somewhere else that could have been contaminated... pretty nasty if you think about it. Carter has finished his meds and now we get to do the stool sample AGAIN to make sure he no longer has it, as it is sometimes resistant to the medication. (I can hardly wait!!) The fact that Carter hasn't grown at all in the last year can probably be attributed to the parasite, so hopefully we will see a growth spurt in the near future. I feel really bad that he had to suffer for so long! I took him to the doctor at the end of last summer because he had had diarrhea for weeks and weeks and it was often really explosive (so much so that he couldn't always get to the toilet on time.) WELL, I don't know if my doctor just wasn't listening to me or what, but she told me that he was probably constipated and that I should give him a laxative! (Since when do you give kids with explosive diarrhea a laxative?!?) I seriously couldn't believe it, she was dead serious too... Needless to say we switched doctors!! Well we are happy to have it figured out and I am Really glad that it wasn't a gluten allergy or something terrible like that! (I had been bracing myself for the worst.)
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Giardiais... aka... a pain in the behind!
Well we have finally determined the cause of Carter's bowel issues... he has Giardia. Giardia is a parasite that lives in the intestines and causes diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Fortunately it is usually treated easily with medication. We are not sure how he got it, it is usually contracted from contaminated water sources, but it is carried in feces so he could have contracted it from playing in the dirt or somewhere else that could have been contaminated... pretty nasty if you think about it. Carter has finished his meds and now we get to do the stool sample AGAIN to make sure he no longer has it, as it is sometimes resistant to the medication. (I can hardly wait!!) The fact that Carter hasn't grown at all in the last year can probably be attributed to the parasite, so hopefully we will see a growth spurt in the near future. I feel really bad that he had to suffer for so long! I took him to the doctor at the end of last summer because he had had diarrhea for weeks and weeks and it was often really explosive (so much so that he couldn't always get to the toilet on time.) WELL, I don't know if my doctor just wasn't listening to me or what, but she told me that he was probably constipated and that I should give him a laxative! (Since when do you give kids with explosive diarrhea a laxative?!?) I seriously couldn't believe it, she was dead serious too... Needless to say we switched doctors!! Well we are happy to have it figured out and I am Really glad that it wasn't a gluten allergy or something terrible like that! (I had been bracing myself for the worst.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I'm glad to hear that he's doing alright and that you've figured out the problem. Wow, I don't know how you do it. I would be freaking out with all that poo! Poor little guy. Thank goodness for medication right? Well, I also just wanted you to know that I registered for the 10k last week. Muhahaha, this is going to be fun! I can't wait to run/die. Well, if you're still up to it let me know, it would be so much fun. If not, we'll still have to hang out, maybe we can go out to eat somewhere. Well, take care and I'll hopefully hear from you soon! Love ya, MEr ;o)
Poor little dude...thats awful! I hope the meds work! For both of you....a year of that would be really hard....you are very patient AND WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THAT DOCTOR....glad you changed! :)
I can't believe how big your boys are!!!! Poor little Carter! Hope he gets back to normal real soon.
Hi again Nicole and Jared,
We're sorry to bother you, but we’re going to set our blog to private so we need your email(s). The email(s) that you give us is the email(s) that will be allowed to access our family blog. You can send the email info. to Mer’s email addy:
merduslam(at)gmail(dot)com
Hope to keep in touch with you all! Love and aloha,
The Lams (Rett, Mer, and Kainoa) :o)
Wow! What a crazy thing for him to have! SOOOOO glad you finally have an answer though and that it usually is taken care of with meds. Such a relief to have that figured out before you move and have to start all over! Good luck with the whole stool sample process again...yuck!
Wow, I had no idea. Glad you figured it out! Connor has the opposite problem. We need to get together!
That is a scary looking bug. I hope it is gone for good now. :)
What a brave mother you have been through it all.
By the way...
Happy Birthday Nicole. I hope you had a wonderful day!!!!
Yay, for a diagnosis. Getting that is half the batal. Now treatment and everything will be okay. Happy Birthday Nicole, the big 27!!!
Hey Nicole. Found your blog from Laura's. Your family looks great! Hope Carter's stuff gets cleared up soon. Our blogs private, but if you are interested shoot me an email and I'll send you an invite. jsaac4@yahoo.com
Did he get that from Travis.
Post a Comment