Monday, April 21, 2008

Tricky and Lucky... our first PETS!

While Jared and I hiked the Grand Canyon this weekend Carter and Gage stayed with my cousins. These are not ordinary cousins, these girls have adopted my boys as their nephews - and they spoil them as such! The boys get so excited to go to the Walker's house and they get especially giddy when they get to spend the night. Carter was counting down all week, 5 more days, 4 more days, 3 more days... til Mommy and Daddy would leave to go on their hike and he would get to stay with the Walker's. It's no wonder that they love being there, all of my cousins and my aunt and uncle dote on them and there is never a dull moment. After Carter's soccer game on Saturday they managed to fit in a trip to the pet store, the park, a picnic, a game of baseball, the dollar store, swimming, pizza at Nello's and popping popcorn in the big old fashioned popper! Well my cousin, Julie, got the bright idea to go to the pet store to get frogs and take them to the park and race them. Carter and Gage each picked out their own frog and named it. I'm not sure where Gage picked up the word "tricky" but they said that he was saying it the whole time he was at the pet store and that is what he decided to name his frog while Carter named his frog Lucky. With Tricky and Lucky in tow they headed out to the park for the BIG RACE. I got to watch the video footage when we got back and all I can say is that I am surprised that Lucky and Tricky are still alive! Although they had good intentions my boys were not so gentle with those frogs, they were batting at them to get them to go, picking them up, dropping them, and holding them by their legs; it was all very comical. It was so fun to see their excitement and watch them hold the frogs for the first time (Carter had to be the brave one because my cousins didn't want to touch the frogs). Well, Carter's frog won the race and needless to say we have now acquired our first pets. It's a good thing we are moving across country in 7 weeks and we will be able to give them back! (Assuming they SURVIVE that long, but with names like Lucky and Tricky they just might!)


The froggies with their breakfast, yep they eat live crickets! (I'm super excited to go to the pet store once a week to pick up a new batch.)

Carter and Lucky, this little guy is a wiggler and a pretty high hopper.

Gagers with his frog Tricky, he gets so excited every time he gets to hold him and giggles with delight as he hops up his arm.

I don't know what kind of frogs these are but their under side is fluorescent orange and black, pretty cool looking!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Nice! Justin keeps saying he is going to get Turner a dog- yet for some reason I think that family should stay out of the pet giving business- no offense Jules I am just jelous that my boys don't get to benifit from living close.

Nicole said...

I have to admit that she ran the whole frog racing thing by me but I told her she had to keep the frogs... but when we got back they really wanted to keep them and I didn't want to be the bad guy (plus Jared thought it would be cool to keep the frogs). Oh well it's only 7 weeks!

Anonymous said...

My intention was never for the boys to keep the frogs-I just thought it would be a fun activty and actually thought we would let them go at a lake. I would never get into the pet giving business and I will gladly take them back.

Nicole said...

Julie don't worry about it - the boys LOVE the frogs and we have all had a lot of fun with them!! We may give them back when we move though, I don't know if they will make the long journey... but I think deep down all of us really want to keep them. We bought crickets again yesterday, it was crazy watching them eat those guys...pretty nasty actually!! We love you and the frogs have been very low maintenance yet really fun... a great pet for us!

Melissa said...

It is funny how much work a little innocent animal can be... my Dad got Tatum a red-eared-slider turtle... we kept him for a few weeks, then found "turtle lady" for him to live with when it was time for him to get a bigger tank.

Tiffany said...

Julie like I said I am just JELOUS!! Come spoil my kids will ya?